Monday, July 9, 2012

Protect Your Natural Hair While Swimming


I am a NATURAL DIVA boos! I am chemical free, choosing to wear my hair in it's naturally curly and fabulous state but I also LOVE to swim. Swimming is my favorite form of exercise and my favorite way to beat the heat. I swim at the gym 3 times a week (when I'm not being lazy) and during the summer frequently head to family's house to jump in their pool. The problem is CHLORINE. Chlorine is bleach, it can dry out and destroy your hair. 

So here is how I protect my hair while enjoying the pool:

For Exercise:
1) I pull my hair up in a bun at the very top of my head.
2) I use a spray bottle to dampen my edges.
3) I smooth some leave in conditioner on my edges (my current fave is Mane n Tail).
4) I put on a swim band. You can buy them commercially, but honestly I made my own by cutting the top off a regular swim cap. 
These steps work out really well for me when exercising. Wetting my edges and coating them in conditioner gives my hair a chance to soak up some good stuff before the chlorine gets to it. I swim laps, so there isn't a lot of splashing or opportunity for the rest of my hair to get wet. When I'm done I spritz my edges again with tap water to rinse the chlorinated water off. 

For Play:
1) Before I go to the pool I get in the shower and thoroughly wet my hair. When playing in a pool I usually end up underwater so by soaking my hair with tap water I try to get it to maximum saturation so it sucks in as little chlorine as possible.
2) I liberally apply my Mane n Tail to my hair.
3) I also coat my hair in a thicker, oil based, hair dressing. My current fave is Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing. The heavy oils in the VO5 help form a barrier against the chlorinated water. 
4) I separate my hair into for sections and braid each section.
5) Lay the braids flat against my head. You can manipulate them in whatever way is easiest for you. I tend to take the two front braids and lay them across the top of my head. I then take the back braids and lay them across the back of my head. The key is that they are as flat as possible so when you place a swim cap on they don't create gaps.
6) I place a nylon swim cap or sleep cap on. The nylon doesn't protect against water, but it will protect your hair from the latex cap rubbing against it, which can cause breakage. 
7) I place my swim band on.
8) I place a full latex swim cap on. A swim cap will not prevent your hair from getting wet, but it will limit the amount of chlorinated water that comes in contact with your hair. That along with all the other layers of protection should keep your hair pretty safe.
9) When the day is done be sure to rinse your hair with clean water and CONDITION.  

How do you protect your beautiful locks? Leave a comment and let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I wear a wig cap liner a home made swim band like you describe and a bubble crepe swim cap with a strap. It works great and people think that swim caps cant keep hair dry and that keeps lots of people out of the pool. Swimming is the best exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I will have to try a bubble cap with a strap! That's a great tip. Thanks.

      Delete