Monday, July 16, 2012

Hawaiian Tropic Review



Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen.

The Claims:
With its ultra-luxurious hydrating silk ribbons, Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration lotion sunscreen nourishes and pampers skin while providing broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection and 12 hour moisturization when out in the sun. Water resistant for 80 minutes.

Let me start by saying that SPF is IMPORTANT, even if you're a brown girl like me. Sometimes I forget that. I always remember to use SPF if I am going to spend any prolonged amount of time in the sun but it never occurs to me to use it if I am just heading out for an ordinary day (although I always, always, use a facial moisturizer with SPF. I am going to be 80 one day and I plan on having the skin of a 60 year old). Then recently I began to notice a pain and irritation on my left arm. We have been having a heat wave and the sun has been really intense, intense enough to give me a driving sunburn (that's why only the left arm - the one that hangs out the window). So even before my influenster box showed up I had placed a bottle of SPF by the front door, so I would forget to apply it on my out. When I found this in my VoxBox I replaced my drugstore SPF with this one.

1) The smell is the first thing you notice about this lotion. It smells like coconut and every time I put it on I could picture myself sitting on a beach. I don't know why that tropical scent immediately brings the beach to mind, but it does and it's divine. The smell doesn't linger too long though, which for me is a good thing. I hate when I am wearing a lotion or cream and I can smell its scent on my hands while I am eating or drinking.

2) As a 12 hour sunscreen its good. It was effective. I put it on everyday on my way out, the heat wave persisted but my burn didn't get any worse. In fact thanks to the protection of the sunscreen it had a chance to heal. The one I was sent is an SPF 30 but it also comes in SPF 12 and SPF 50. SPF 30 is plenty for a brown girl (the melanin in brown skin provides its own protection from sun damage) but if you're pale please choose the 50. My hubby is very pale and we normally keep an SPF 45, 70, and 100 around the house so he can choose one appropriate to our plans for the day. Stay healthy and keep your skin looking young by choosing a high SPF.

3) As a hydrating lotion it was surprisingly effective. I didn't expect much from the login aspect. Most SPFs are creams, but they don't absorb like lotions or offer any moisturizing effects. This one does. When I rubbed it on, it acted just like a body lotion. It was especially nice on sunburn. The skin on my arm was painful and had started flaking, the lotion aspect of this was instantly soothing to it. The lotion also left a beautiful light shimmer on my skin, that I imagine would look amazing on the beach with the sun glistening off of it.

4) $8.99 for a 6 oz. bottle. This is a good lotion for a good price. Most drugstores carry it, so it is easy to find and won't break the bank.

*Note: I didn't have a chance to hit the pool with the SPF so I can not make any statement about the water resistance claims.

OVERALL:
I really loved using this product. For me the selling point is the smell. I looked forward to putting it on everyday. I will definitely be buying a full size bottle once this one is empty.


Disclosure: Hawaiian Tropic and Influenster provided me with this sample for the purpose of testing and review.


What do you think? Leave me a comment below.






No comments:

Post a Comment