Monday, July 30, 2012

Lip Balm Face Off Week 2

THE NYX - The first thing I noticed is the scent. It smells really good, just like fruit punch. The second thing that stands out is the color. The reason I wear tinted lip balm is because I don't always wear full make-up and it's a nice way to add a bit of subtle color to my face so I can still feel pretty without a lot of make-up. I always feel like tinted lip balm would be a good way for a young girl to start trying out make-up, because it is so subtle. This lip balm however, is so heavily pigmented you might as well be wearing lipstick. I don't wear lipstick when I am not wearing make-up because I feel like, on me, it looks strange to have a strong block of color on my lips but not anywhere else. This lip balm left me with that strange look. Thank you is a really dark, in your face berry color - not subtle at all. The lip balm is also very glossy (which again just makes the color standout more). Balms always have a bit of gloss since they are made to add moisture, but this one is really shiny (although not shimmery - no glitter or anything). On the plus side it is not overly sticky or tacky on the lips the way lip gloss can be. An explanation of the 6-?hrs thing. The gloss wears away quickly, but the moisturizing effect of this product is really good. My lips stayed soft and feeling good for 6hrs. through eating and drinking. After 6hrs my lips felt like they could use more moisture, but the color was still really strong so I didn't re-apply. In a non-testing situation I probably would have just used a non-tinted lip balm to moisturize so as not to add even more color. The "?" is because the color acts like a lip stain. I put the balm on in the morning and when it was time for me to wash my face for bed my lips were still stained with the color, it was finally subtle but still clearly visible. So I have no idea how long the color actually lasts, because I threw in the towel and went to bed.

THE PALLADIO - Right off I was disappointed by the lack of scent. I know smell isn't crucial to lip balm, but most have one and it really starts to become something you expect. The tint in this one is really lovely. It is sheer and subtle, but noticeably pretty. I actually prefer this type of tint, it delivers that light naturally pretty color I look for in a tinted balm. It has a medium gloss nothing overly strong or shiny and isn't sticky. It also has a really long staying power. The gloss fades but the color stains and it left my lips tinted and moist for 6hrs. through eating and drinking. 



OVERALL: These balms are actually pretty similar. Very close in staying power and feel. Individually I would recommend both, and actually if you are a young girl or buying this for a young girl who is just starting to wear make-up I would recommend the Palladio because of the delicate color. Both are really moisturizing and leave your lips feeling great. However, despite the close race I do have to pick a winner and I'm going to go with NYX. The in your face color is a bit too much for my taste, but I went with NYX here because of the yummy scent that Palladio just didn't have and the cheaper price (I am a beauty on a budget after all.)

NEXT WEEK: E.L.F vs. Neutrogena

Have you tried either of these balms? What did you think? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment