Monday, August 6, 2012

Guilty Pleasures Book Review


Guilty Pleasures is the first of the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. The books in this series are NewYork Times bestsellers and this book has been adapted into a graphic novel. 

Here is the dust jacket description: Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.
Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.
So why did I choose this book? I love paranormal books and stories and most importantly I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and really miss it. This seemed very Buffy to me so I was excited to try it. It's not Buffy. Full disclosure, I didn't even finish this book. I couldn't finish this book. Out of fairness to it I made the mistake of thinking this was paranormal fiction and it's not it's paranormal romance and there is a difference. If you read and enjoyed the True blood novels or Twilight, also best sellers, then you will also probably enjoy this (I hated those books too) but it just isn't for me. 

I couldn't get into the Anita character she is the main character, the one that carries the series and I just didn't care if she lived or died from scene to scene. Her bravado is over the top and comes off cartoonish, as a character she just never came alive for me.  to keep me moving forward. I didn't find the vampires menacing at all. The plot was boring so boring getting through each of the chapters (which aren't very long) seemed like a chore, and there were no moments of "What will happen next?" I so don't care what will happen next I'm not even finishing the book.

Anyway, I hate to trash something that someone has created and worked hard on so I will just leave it at this was clearly not my cup of tea, and I made a mistake choosing it.

Have you read it? What's your impression?

No comments:

Post a Comment